Evaluation of Transfer College Credit
All college transcripts will be evaluated to determine admissibility of an applicant even if all or any of that credit is not accepted for transfer. Transfer Services in the Registrar's Office will determine the transferability of undergraduate credit to BYU.
In determining transferability of credit the following criteria will be considered: comparable credit hours, course level, seat time, and course descriptions. Vocational credit is not accepted, even if earned at an accredited institution.
Additional factors that can affect the transfer of credit:
- Military courses are evaluated using the ACE recommendations in the upper-division baccalaureate category from the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services.
- Associate of arts or science degrees from approved transfer institutions will fill most BYU university core requirements with the exception of American Heritage, Advanced Written and Oral Communication, Languages of Learning, and the religion hours at BYU. American Heritage, Advanced Written and Oral Communication, and the Languages of Learning requirements may be filled by completing specific courses at other colleges. NOTE: Associate of arts or science degrees must consist of at least 35% academic classes (i.e., general education) in order to fulfill BYU's core requirements as stated above. Associate of arts or science degrees that include more than 65% vocational courses will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis. Students who have questions about the completion of university core courses are invited to contact Transfer Services in the BYU Registrar's Office, (801) 422-8522, for further information.
- Credit is evaluated on a course-by-course basis for students who do not complete an associate of arts or science degree. Transfer guides have been established for some of BYU's main feeder institutions. A list of these transfer guides can be found at http://transfer.byu.edu.
- Credit earned more than eight years before admission or readmission (including transfer credit) may, at the discretion of the university, be accepted to meet general education and university graduation requirements as well as major requirements.
- Credit earned from an LDS institute of religion must be posted to an official CES transcript.