Materials Modeling: Methods in Atomistic, Mesoscale, and Continuum Simulations
Diverse Modeling Techniques
1. Gain an understanding of the different materials modeling techniques as well as an appreciation for their strengths, weaknesses and limitations.
2. Describe the various physical phenomena governing material behavior at different length scales, either in terms of continuum, thermodynamic descriptions or discrete particles and their interactions.
3. Use FEA techniques to model continuum phenomena – and develop a system of equations for their evolution.
First principles Techniques
4. Gain an understanding of the quantum mechanical nature of atomic interactions.
5. Develop the equations and code to simulate atomistic interactions, and run commercial scale simulations.
6. Simulate intermediate scale phenomena using an appropriate mesoscale model.