Dynamic System Modeling and Analysis
1. Students should have a knowledge of fundamental systems concepts required to develop lumped element models for basic mechanical systems, including inertia, compliance, dissipation, and power sources, and obtain equations of motion for linear motion and fixed-axis rotation.
2. Students should have a knowledge of fundamental systems concepts required to develop lumped element models for basic electrical systems, including inductance, capacitance, resistance, power sources and amplifiers.
Basic Fluid Systems
3. Students should have a knowledge of fundamental systems concepts required to develop lumped element models for basic fluid systems, including inertance, capacitance, resistance, and pumps.
4. Students should have a knowledge of fundamental concepts of multi-domain modeling of electromechanical and fluid/mechanical systems and be able to develop lumped element models of these mixed systems.
5. Students should know how to place equations of motion into state variable form, and to develop a simulation for basic non-linear and linear systems using MATLAB or some other simulation software.
Transfer Functions and Poles
6. Students should know how to manipulate a system of linear differential equations to obtain transfer functions and poles (eigenvalues).
7. Students should understand first and second-order systems and know how to interpret poles (eigenvalues) to define natural frequencies, damping ratios, time constants, and the natural response, step response, and impulse response of a system.
8. Students should understand the concept of frequency response. They should understand the relationship between transfer functions and frequency response, and should be able to obtain frequency response plots for their system models using MATLAB.
Real World Application
9. Students should use the BYU ME method to 1) transform a real-world dynamic system into an engineering problem and 2) develop and analyze a lumped-element model to solve the engineering problem. Students communicate their process and results to others.